9 Garden Place, Derby, CT 06418 • (203) 736-5043
Welcome to Irving School, the home of the Wildcats! My name is Mrs. Olson and I am the proud Principal of Irving School.
Our school-wide goals guide our vision and work with our students. My commitment is to align all of our efforts and resources around these six major priorities. This is what you can expect from all of us:
- To build a positive school culture rooted in Respect—Respect for Ourselves, Respect for Each Other, and Respect for Our School
- To create a rigorous learning community that is driven by high-quality teaching. Simply put, we will have a sense of urgency and a “Whatever it Takes” approach to help our students reach their full potential
- To cultivate a school-wide culture of reading to get children excited about books, instill a love a literature, and to develop confident readers at all levels
- To support and celebrate regular school attendance, and ensure being “On Time and Ready to Shine!” is a lifelong habit
- To promote an environment and culture of health and wellness to support our physical, mental well-being, and development
- To welcome and engage families and the community in the life of Irving School
I am excited to continue our commitment to providing our teachers and students access to technology to improve the quality of instruction and engagement. Every classroom at Irving is equipped with an ENO board, 3 desktop computers, 6 Kindle readers, an iPad, and wireless internet access. We also have a Mac computer, two mobile iPad carts, a laptop cart, and new digital cameras to use in our classrooms. Our students also love using our interactive “clickers” to respond to questions, similar to those used on the game show “Jeopardy.” This year, thanks to a generous corporate donation, we are transitioned from morning announcements over the intercom, to a student-led video broadcast that will is displayed daily in each class/office. I am passionate about the integration of technology to differentiate instruction and engage 21st century learners and will continue to channel resources in this direction.
If you are new to the community, or considering sending your child to our school, please call us to schedule a tour. There are GREAT things happening here at Irving School and we would love to share our Wildcat Pride with you!
With many thanks!
Mrs. Jennifer Olson
Mrs. Olson & Antonio as Assistant Principal for the Day
STAY IN TOUCH
Be sure to visit our website often for our weekly newsletters, information about upcoming events, and the “Digital Backpack” with a copy of all notices and permission slips being sent home. Also, remember to check out the Irving School PTO Facebook Page for great pictures and information (Click here: https://www.facebook.com/IrvingSchoolPto) to learn about volunteer opportunities, get reminders about fundraisers, and to see pictures from events at our school. We also have an Irving School Twitter Account and will use it to “tweet” out information about our school events. (Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/Irving_School)
HELP OUR TEACHERS AND STUDENTS
And lastly, check out Donor’s Choose, an online charity that makes it easy for anyone to help teachers fund a classroom idea. Public school teachers from every corner of America post classroom project requests on the site, and people can give any amount to the project that they choose. Learn about the great projects Irving School teachers are planning to do with students---once they get funded! In the past 3 years, nearly $50,000 worth of projects were fully funded at Irving School, giving our students access to incredible learning experiences that, otherwise would not have been possible! Consider donating to a worthy project, or helping us spread the word about our needs by sharing the information on your own social media pages. Visit the site and see projects that have been completed and those waiting for funding at: http://www.donorschoose.org/school/irving-school/43945/?teachers=true
Parent Climate Survey